The Nigerian Federal Government has warned residents in the country to avoid scenes of bomb blasts whenever the tragic incidents happen.
This piece of warning was disclosed by the Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Alhaji Mohammad Sidi, on Tuesday, 15 July, 2014 in Abuja.
Sidi, while speaking at the ‘After Action Review’ meeting of stakeholders that responded to the two bomb explosions that happened at Nyanya and Emab Plaza in Abuja recently, recalled that the incidents caused loss of lives and destruction of property worth millions of naira.
He warned Nigerians to avoid accident scenes especially incidents like terror attacks in order to avoid additional loss of lives.
* NEMA boss, Mohammad Sidi
Sidi added that the country has enough emergency responders that can handle aftermaths of such incidents anywhere in Nigeria.
“The impact of these incidents on our psyche cannot be quantified. It has made us to live in constant fear and apprehension on where it is likely to happen again,” he said.
The NEMA boss observed that terrorism was a global phenomenon and Nigeria had had its fair share of it.
He, however, urged the citizens to either collectively fight it or allow it to destroy the country as it had done in other parts of the world.
* Scene of a bomb blast in Abuja
“As a developing country, our quest for development and nationhood can only be achieved in an atmosphere of peace and respect for human dignity,” he said.
The director general used the occasion to commiserate with those affected by the blasts and prayed God to grant the dead eternal rest.
It could be recalled that no fewer than 21 people were confirmed to have lost their lives as a result of the bomb blasts that occurred at Emab Plaza in Abuja last month.
The Islamist militant group, Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the terror attack.
According to the United Nations, the terrorists group is believed to have killed over 4,000 people since 2009 through their series of attacks across Nigeria.